Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Musings of a mother

Here I am, once again, on the eve of another school year. I'm not as emotional as I was last year; I really think I'm doing well considering Ethan's going to Kindergarten. I mean, the child is going to school every day. And he's taking the bus home. Without me. On his own. Have I ever mentioned that I never rode the bus to school? That I always walked? That this whole "boarding the bus and riding around with the bus driver as the only adult" thing is totally foreign to me? I know. Kids do this all the time. I just never did. Ethan will love it...he's already realized that he's getting a bad deal because he only rides the bus home (we live too close to school, so we don't qualify for a bus ride on the way there). Check off one more thing that I have to learn to do through my kids.

Wow. Small bus tangent there.

We went to his school tonight for an open house. They also welcomed us to the school community with a "new family" dinner. The friendliness and care of the staff and parents reaffirmed for me our decision to send him to this school. It's a great place, one that I think we'll love a lot.

The teacher sent home the first newsletter with us. By the time I read through that whole thing, I was about brain dead. Did you know you can buy extra insurance for your child for while they are at school? I'm not sure what all it covers...

Also, because of the world we live in, there is a form for everything (and often a check to go along with it). We can get Ethan white milk, chocolate milk, strawberry milk, or even orange juice. We have to send in information about any medication that he takes...even if it's just at home. He needs to have a bus tag on his backpack so they know where to send him. Emergency numbers...people allowed to pick him up if there is severe weather...signing off on field trips...allowing his picture to be used in publications when appropriate. Wow. I know it's all necessary, and I'm not really trying to complain, but it's a lot to keep track of!

I asked him tonight if he wanted me to walk him around the school to the door where his teacher will be waiting. I'm pretty sure he rolled his eyes at me. He told me I didn't need to walk with him; that he could do it himself. Then he looked at me, sighed, and said "well, maybe just on the first day". We'll see what he wants in the morning.

Once again, I'll send my boy off with a prayer, a smile, and maybe a few tears. I love that he's growing up and learning so much. I also love that there are times when he still slips his hand in mine.

3 comments:

DeMaster Family said...

So explain to me why he gets a bus ride home, but not in the morning? Does the distance somehow increase during the day?:) I'm sure he'll like the bus, but he also be learning interesting things. The school bus was an eye opening experience for me as a kid.:) Does he have school all day?

Janna said...

Ethan is going in the mornings (half day) Mon. through Fri. The qualifications for the bus are that you have to be a mile away from school to take the morning bus and you have to be a 1/2 mile away to take the noon bus. I think the noon distance is shorter since it is primarily for the kindergarteners. So, since we are .9 miles away from school, he doesn't qualify for the AM bus. Kind of stinks because we have to take him every day, but we'll get used to it. Next year he won't qualify for the bus because he'll go all day and you have to be a mile away for the afternoon bus (just like the AM bus). Are you more confused now? :)

Anonymous said...

and i'm guessing you will be posting 1st day of school pictures soon?
Julie