Saturday, September 8, 2007

First Day Jitters

School starts on Monday and I have a case of the first day jitters. Ethan's fine, of course, he can hardly contain his excitement for school. I, on the other hand, can't stop thinking about it. How can this day be here already? How did time suddenly go from "It's a boy" to "It's time for school"? I know this is something that all moms go through, but it still doesn't make it much easier. My baby boy's world is about to drastically change. He's going from the shelter of our home out into the big world. Honestly, it scares me to not be able to control the things he learns and sees. When he's with me, I can turn off the TV and radio so he doesn't hear or see all the bad things that happen in the world. He doesn't need to know that there are things like bullies, loneliness, teasing, and bad days. He's going to figure out that there are some things in life that are just plain hard, and that he may have a difficult time learning things. He doesn't know about divorce and hate. He knows love, happiness, and play.

I am excited for him to go to school, please don't misunderstand me. How can I not be when he says things like "Do you think we'll sing songs in preschool?" and "I think I'll learn numbers that I don't know about, like 31, 32, 33...". I am happy because of his happiness, excitement, and anticipation.

I guess I'll have to stick with the only things I can do: Pray hard, and continue to teach him right and wrong whenever I have the chance. Love him unconditionally, and give him all the hugs and kisses that he'll let me dish out. I'm also going to hold his hand every chance I get, because I know that someday soon he won't let me do it anymore. Some stages in life are hard for a mom, even though they are good stages. I think the most difficult part may be that this is only preschool; just the beginning.

No comments: