Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Common Courtesy

Today I made a quick stop at the store on my way to work. I wanted to be in and out quickly, so I was doing it when I didn't have the boys with me. I was all checked out, and as I took my bags off the counter, I knocked a little display box of Chapstick off the counter. Since I was turning as I pulled the bags off, they pretty much scattered in a half circle around me. So, I bent over to pick them up as I was responsible for knocking them down. I tried to pick them up quickly, since I was holding up the line. I loaded them all up, set them on the counter, and then loaded my bags into the cart. As I was walking out the door, I thought to myself "wow, maybe at least one of the 3 or 4 people that were standing and waiting for me to get out of their way could have helped me pick them up". No one even offered, though one gentleman did say "Uh-oh" when they scattered on the floor. Nice. Do me a favor, next time you see someone picking up something they knocked down, bend over and help them. Yeah, they could probably do it on their own, but maybe they'll smile when they leave the store instead of thinking how sad it is that no one has any common courtesy left. Stepping off my soapbox now.

5 comments:

Rozema Family said...

Not to "float my own boat" but the same thing happened to this poor lady at Schnucks the other day! She had an infant SCREAMING his head off and a 2 year old crying saying "I'm sorry mommy". The girl had dropped an entire TUPPERWARE full of pennies on the ground. I swear 100 people walked past her just ignoring her picking them up. So I pulled my screaming infant up next to hers and had Loren help me and her daughter pick them up. The lady kept thanking me and telling me how hurt she was that so many people were just walking by. Why can't people just be kind. . .what's happened to common courtesy?

Janna said...

Kimberly, I know you would have helped me pick them up! At least I didn't have the screaming infant...I love the fact that you parked your screaming infant by hers! I would think that a store employee would come help just to get both of you out of the store. :)

Rozema Family said...

Not only would I have helped you, I would have wiped your tears, stroked your hair, held you to my bossom. . .oh wait, no I wouldn't have! I quit nursing Zach cold turkey Tuesday and would pass out if I held you close :)

Beth said...

That is interesting. I wonder exactly why people don't stop. I often do. Gotta love the dueling screamers, Kimberly! :)

Suzanne said...

I've noticed the same things lately. We're all so focused on rushing around we don't often take the 5 seconds to help others. I'm glad to say my friends aren't like that!! :)