Saturday, April 28, 2007

A pet for a day



Today I tried to be a good Samaritan...and it definitely did not work out like I thought it would! I was driving to my mother and father-in-laws to drop of the boys because I had a bridal shower. While I was stopped at a light on my way there, I noticed a dog running around in the intersection and in the road. Thankfully it was not a busy intersection, but the dog was still close to being hit by a number of cars. There were many people that stopped to avoid hitting the dog, but no one made any effort to stop and get it out of the road. So I'm conflicted...do I try to get this dog, or am I totally insane to try and help it? I couldn't just drive on, so I watched the dog for a bit and noticed that it was sitting almost every time it got by the driver's door. I decided that I would try to call the dog and see if it was obedient. It was, so I loaded it up in the back of my van (once I had the seats set up so that the dog couldn't get by my kids). I thought, how hard can this be? Look at the tags, mapquest the address at my in-laws, and bring the poor dog home. Boy, was I a little off.

The dog had a shock collar, but no tags. Nothing identifying on it at all. Lovely, now I have a dog, two kids, and I'm supposed to be at a bridal shower in 20 minutes. So, I did what every lovely daughter-in-law does (right?). I greeted Jason's parents with two boys and a dog and told them I'd be back in a few hours. Thanks mom and dad for not shaking your heads until after I left. They were good sports and helped me tie the dog to a tree.

I went to the shower and then went with my sister-in-law to get an extra collar and leash from their house. Then I went back to my in-laws and Jason and I walked the dog all around a couple of neighborhoods by where I had picked the dog up. Nobody recognized the dog. So now I'm thinking my good deed has really blown up. I don't want a dog at my house!! Granted, she was well behaved, but I still don't want a dog! Plus, someone was probably looking for her because she was obviously well cared for.

Jason and I ended up calling Animal Control and they came and picked the dog up. Of course, we had to give our temporary pet a name: she was dubbed "Mildred the white girl dog" by Ethan (I think Jason helped with the Mildred, but the rest was Ethan). What a day!

3 comments:

Olivia said...

What? No Frosty II??

Just kidding! Some neighbors of ours brought over their chocolate lab yesterday afternoon and it was nice to play with him for a bit and then send him away from my house!

Anonymous said...

Attention: Looking for someone to to pick you up and get you to safety? Look for a lady driving a silver van (with 2 adorable boys) and she will risk life and limb to make sure you are safe.

As for her MIL and FIL they must be up for saint hood and have certainly learned to be on their toes the next time you show up. Don't feel offended if they search your van the next time you drive up with the kids.


P.S. The silver van lady will be subject to a calendar search. The search will be for a postette with the words "A rope for dad"

Anonymous said...

So when Steve saw mildred's picture, he said "well, she is kinda cute..." So we should have had a picture and we probably could have taken her. Sad huh?