Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Toothbrush conversations

Odd title, right? I thought I would give you a glimpse into one of the conversations that Jason and I had a few nights ago. We were getting ready for bed and we were both brushing our teeth. For some reason, that particular moment was when we talked about our schedules for the next day. It was a different schedule than usual, so it involved some discussion to coordinate picking up the boys and switching vehicles. What made this discussion unique was that we were able to carry on this conversation and figure out the details...while still brushing our teeth. With our toothbrushes in our mouths, and none of the foamy toothpaste out of our mouths, we were able to understand each other. Some of the conversation happened via hand gestures, but most of it was mumbled phrases around a toothbrush. I found it to be so odd that we could understand each other. I ended up laughing like crazy.

The point of this post? (Other than a discussion about dental hygiene and grossing people out by talking about toothpaste foam...) As of today, Jason and I have been married for nine years. Our relationship has grown and changed over the years...and we've developed some unique ways to communicate. Toothbrushing conversations would be included here.

Has it been an easy nine years? Maybe a few of them could be considered easy, but in order for our relationship to be what it is today, we've had to go through hard times. Is God still working in our marriage? I can only hope so, because He's given us something incredible with what He's done so far.

We're celebrating quietly this year, with a simple dessert...OK, maybe two...at home and some time spent with Ethan and Micah at the park (I'm becoming quite a baseball player; I hit a home run at the ball diamond). Basically we took the opportunity to enjoy the blessings that surround us.

On this day, where we celebrate our marriage, I will definitely tell Jason how much I love and appreciate him...without my toothbrush in my mouth.

1 comment:

Rozema Family said...

I spit my tea when I read "tooth-brush foam!"

Happy anniversary to you Janna! I remember how much fun we had planning your special day. . .or night ;)!

One thing I'll never forget about your wedding is how WORRIED you two were about everyone finding your car and decorating it!