Sunday, May 11, 2008

Happy Mother's Day

One of my girlfriends emailed me this a while back. I believe it was originally published by Focus on the Family. I thought it was fitting for today! Happy Mother's Day to my mom and mother-in-law, and to all those I know and love who are also moms!

“What Remains”
The Love Chapter for Parents by Cindy Dagnan

If I spend my days building skyscrapers with blocks, assembling cool stuff out of legos, and creating relationships with other moms at Starbucks, but I have not love, I am only the siren of the kids’ ride-on firetruck, annoyingly stuck on hold.

If I have the gift of knowing which child attempted to flush the Hot Wheels down the toilet and which one pushed her sister, and if I have faith that somehow we’ll survive life’s emergencies, but have not love, I am nothing.

If I save all my box tops for school and give outgrown clothing to the local shelter, and if I surrender my body to stretch marks and under eye circles, but have not love, I gain nothing.

Love is patient when someone isn’t ready to use the big-girl potty. It is kind when my husband has a hard day. It doesn’t envy my neighbor who drives the new sport utility vehicle I can’t afford.

It isn’t rude, snapping at my spouse or my children when things don’t go my way. It is not easily angered at real or perceived injustices.

It always protects the smallest, sweetest family confidences; always trusts God to provide my children’s needs; always hopes in the freshness of tomorrow and the bright future of family; always perserveres amid hardship and doubt.

Where there are sleepless nights, they shall end. Where there are diapers, little league, and dioramas built from shoeboxes, they will cease. Where there is knowledge of baby care trends, discipline strategies, and boy-girl problems, it will pass away.

Now these three remain: faith, lived out in my daily circumstances and instilled in my children; hope, of one day rejoicing with my family in heaven; and love, which covers over a multitude of less- than-perfect moments.

But the greatest of these is love. It is what remains… long after I am gone.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Mother's Day Janna!

Thank you for being a woman who has kept her priorities right where they belong-Leaning on God for every step.

My word of wisdom throughout raising kids was always "This too shall pass". Well, the phases did pass. You will survive the sleepless nights, the non-stop questions and one more flu season.

All the phases of raising children will pass and you will be left with wishing you could feel your baby snuggle in your lap; watching your litle boy play ball; or sneaking into the house one minute after curfew.

Then all of a sudden you turn around and then the grandkids come in your life and create a whole new chapter. Enjoy each new day of being a mom. They grow up way to fast!

Love and thanks for being a wonderful mommy to Ethan and Micah

Love,
Your MIL

DeMaster Family said...

That is a really great reminder of what is important when parenting. You're a great Mom, Janna!