Thursday, February 28, 2008

Birthday Celebrations

We had a busy week of birthday celebrations for Ethan. He had lots of fun and is already talking about how next he'll be six (sigh).

Since I had to work on Ethan's birthday, we started our celebrations on Monday night. He had a coupon for a free birthday ice cream at Coldstone Creamery, so we took him there. We let him choose his flavor and mix-ins, and the result was blue cotton candy ice cream with gummy bears and sprinkles in it.



We took the ice cream home and he ate almost all of it (he shared some with Micah). I think his stomach was a little upset when he finished. Do you wonder why?!



Ethan was able to celebrate his birthday with his class. He took a favorite book, pictures, and a birthday treat to share with the class. After much discussion, he decided that he wanted cutout cookies for his treat. I let him look through my box of cookie cutters and he settled on the number five ("because I'm five, mom") and the hand shape ("because I'm a whole hand now"). He helped me cut out the cookies and picked blue and green frosting. He had a great time taking all the treats for his class.


Once I came home from work on Tuesday, his birthday, we let him open his present before bed. He loves Legos and cars, so we got him a Lego race car. He was thrilled and had to put it together that night.



He so expressive, so he was funny to listen to as he opened his present. He thankfully exclaimed "just what I wanted!". At least we knew he was happy with his present!


Since it was already past his bedtime, we figured we might as well have his "cake", too. I asked him before his birthday what he wanted for dessert...and he told me he wanted pumpkin pie instead of cake. I tried to talk him out of it (since I don't like pumpkin pie), but he was the birthday boy, so I make pumpkin pie and we put candles in that. He loved having "Happy Birthday" sung to him.


He also spent time celebrating with grandparents, aunts, and uncles. He thought it was great that he had messages on the answering machine, and was thrilled to receive mail. Stacy, tell Caleb that Ethan has all kinds of sports stuff that they'll have to play together! We'll be busy in the backyard this summer with all of his fun new toys. We had a fun week!

2 comments:

Kristi said...

Although I'm sure it stunk having to work on his bday, I'm sure Ethan liked having an extra long birthday!

DeMaster Family said...

My stomach hurts just thinking about that ice cream concoction! So did he like the pie? I probably would have tried to convince my child otherwise as well. How can it be a birthday without cake frosting?!