Friday, January 18, 2008

Silly Supper Night

We may have a new "tradition" around our house. Let me give you the background first. Lately, it feels to Jason and I that all we do is scold Ethan, correct him, and just be "on his case" in general. Our episode on Wednesday is just one example. Anyway, we were ready for a happier day with the boys instead of one filled with crankiness.

I asked Ethan what he would like for supper last night and his response was "popcorn". Being a mother, I told him we couldn't have popcorn for supper (only I can do that on days where I don't feel like anything else!). Then, I remembered a time when my family was on vacation and we stopped for "supper" at grocery store. My siblings an I were shocked when my dad came out of the store with a 1/2 gallon of ice cream. My mom cut it into six pieces, and we had ice cream for supper. It's such a fun memory!

Well, I told Jason about Ethan's supper request, and Jason and I decided that we needed to have a fun night and concocted a plan for a less than typical supper.

We had the boys set the table in the living room. They put their place mats out on the coffee table and happily set out plates and napkins. Then Jason and I gave them all kinds of bowls filled with fun foods that we would never let them have for supper. Here's our lovely table.



You are not seeing things. Not only did we had popcorn, but we added iced animal crackers, cheese chunks, Triscuits, a donut, chips, a snack mix, and crescent rolls (some with hot dogs in them). We made the kids drink milk while mom and dad washed all the junk down with pop.



The result? A happy, silly, giggly, terrible-for-you supper. We had so much fun!



We may make "silly supper night" a monthly tradition. Why not break all nutritional rules every once in a while!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fun! I don't remember that ice cream dinner.

Kristi said...

Love it!!! I'm sure the boys loved it. PS-I want to be invited over next time you have one :)

Yours Truly said...

This made my stomach hurt just looking at it LOL Its always fun to make silly traditions. I'm sure Ethan and Micah loved it! :)

DeMaster Family said...

We feel like we're always correcting Caleb too! I've been thinking we need to add some fun as well. Today was a "special" day where he could eat his lunch in front of the TV. He thought it was great! Your supper looks like alot of fun!