Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Battle of wills (edit)

I'm currently in a battle of wills with Ethan. I don't know why I picked today to have a battle, but I did, and now I'm committed. Here's the fun story...

I made Macaroni and Cheese for lunch (per Ethan's request). I'll admit, it didn't turn out as well as it's supposed to. I think I must have let it boil a little to long and there was more moisture in the noodles. So, the result was still mac and cheese, it just wasn't the usual mac and cheese. I ate it, it wasn't the best, but it was still edible and cheese flavored. Micah ate it, too. Ethan declared that it was yucky and that he wasn't going to eat it. I told him that he asked for mac and cheese, I made it, and so he needed to eat it. This was met with demands for all sorts of things...that I make a new batch, that I make him peanut butter and jelly, that he wanted candy instead (yeah, right, like I'm insane), that he wasn't feeling well so he needed to lay down on the couch, that he wasn't hungry anymore. Being the mother that I am (which means not always thinking very far down the road when I'm ticked) I told him that he had to sit in his chair until he ate the food. Well, it's been at least a half hour, he's still mad, still not eating, and still looking like he's not going to eat. Great. I really won't be surprised if he's still there when Jason comes home from work. So, I've committed myself to this, so I guess I need to stick with it. Any bets on how long we'll be in this battle of wills?

Oh, and I think I should call my mother and apologize (again) for how I acted when I was a child.

Edit to add...
Well, at 2:00 I couldn't stand it anymore. There had been much weeping, hollering, and all of the Legos have been confiscated. The food...still on the plate. In an effort to salvage the rest of the day, Ethan and I had a little talk about Grace. I had read a while back on another blog that this mom had extended Grace to her daughter after her daughter had done something she shouldn't have. It provided a good opportunity for them to talk about God's Grace for us and how we can apply it in our lives. When I remembered that, I decided that may be the only way Ethan and I make it through the day. So, Ethan and I had a nice little talk about Grace and how God shows us Grace. I told him that I was going to show him Grace, but that he still needed to learn from what he did wrong...so no snacks or food until supper. Sigh. Some days, it's hard to know what battles to pick!

4 comments:

Beth said...

Hang in there. You can do it! I'm just waiting for my turn. We've started some battles--sitting in your chair until everyone is done w/ dinner. Eating what I make or going hungry. Sure you can have a snack--funny it looks an awful lot like dinner...
You can do it. Go mom, go!

Rozema Family said...

Oh my gosh. . .it continues after the age of two. cuss word cuss word cuss word! I think you did a fantastic job being an mirror of Christ.

Beth said...

What a great idea and an awesome lesson on Grace. Must have been a God thing that you remembered that. I'm always amazed at what good things other people tell their children. BTW, I'm impressed that you lasted till 2:00.

DeMaster Family said...

The Grace discussion was a really good idea! I'll have to remember that one. I too am impressed you lasted til 2:00.

How did the job interview go?