Saturday, June 2, 2007

Friends

I've never had an imaginary friend, but I am now acquainted with one. I know this friend quite well, and I think I'm at the point where I'm ready to send him packing. I know this is something that kids do, but I'm not sure I can wait this phase out!

In case you haven't guessed, Ethan has an imaginary friend (though I know you thought maybe it was Jason's friend!). His name is Buppa (not sure how to spell it, but it's said Buh-pah...no hesitations, you have to say it fast to make it sound right). Buppa has been around for a while now, a year minimum. He seems friendly enough, but lately he's become downright rude.

At first Buppa would accompany us on car trips and be around at bedtime. Then he started playing toys and wanting to go outside. I didn't mind Buppa in those days. He was pretty nice. No big deal to tell him to "buckle up!" in the back seat.

Things with Buppa became more interesting when Ethan would sit with my dad and talk about Buppa. We soon found out through their conversations that Buppa likes to play outside in the snow...naked. Don't know where that came from, but we couldn't help laughing when Ethan would declare "There's Buppa running in the snow naked!". Ethan told grandpa many other Buppa adventures that are too many to name.

Over the last few months, Buppa has started pushing...and hitting...and he seems to have a problem with passing gas. Many times, if I tell Ethan to excuse himself, I often hear "Buppa did it". Ethan has even started tattling on Buppa. Those are the times where I tell Ethan that Buppa has to go to his house. Maybe his parents will teach him some manners while he's there!

Some day, I expect I'll be able to look back at the days where Buppa was around...and I may actually miss him! I guess I just need to remember the innocence and joys of childhood.

1 comment:

Rozema Family said...

Sweet little boy! I can't believe how funny your son is! This is the second time he has got me to laugh out loud! I would love to have a "sit down" with him and hear some Buppa stories of my own!