Thursday, July 31, 2008

Cottage fun

We're finally starting to get back into a regular routine following our time at the lake, so I thought I would post some pictures of the fun we had. I could post tons of pictures, but since I don't think Blogger would cooperate, I tried to keep it to a few favorites.

Here are some pre-picture highlights (in bullet points, because I'm a bullet point kind of gal):
  • Number of squirt gun fights that the grandkids had with grandpa: at least 2 that I witnessed...picture grandpa on the dock with a squirt gun and 4 giggling kids running around trying to squirt him.
  • Number of paddle boat rides with my boys: 2, one of which our destination was the lily pads and the turtle's favorite resting areas.
  • Number of turtles spotted on the paddle boat ride: at least 8
  • Number of fish that Ethan caught: 2
  • Number of times I was thrown into the lake with my clothes on: 3
  • Number of nights we slept over: 11 (I think, I kind of lost track)
  • Number of times I performed the Heimlich: 1 (OK, one unsuccessful attempt and then one more successful attempt that was decidedly more emphatic)
  • The weight I gained while eating junk food for 3 weeks: I didn't even check because it's vacation...though a certain relative of mine actually had the nerve to LOSE weight while eating junk!
  • Number of meals per day that were followed with dessert: Usually 3!
  • Number of people who slept who slept in one bedroom many nights: 6
  • Nieces and nephews that I was able to hang out with for an invaluable amount of time: 4
  • Books read: Sadly, only one! I guess I was busy watching kids play in the lake!


Ethan became very comfortable in the water...more and more each day. By the end of our time at the lake, he would happily swim under water!


Micah and Daddy having a squirt gun fight...the bigger squirt guns were used on grandpa.


Ethan caught a fish! He wasn't so sure about it, as evidenced by his grip on grandpa's shirt.


Micah had to keep looking at the fish. We kept it in the bucket so Ethan could show Jason. Micah almost dumped the fish back into the lake a number of times. I guess he's a catch and release kind of guy!


The boys, playing in the water. It's amazing how much time the could spend scooping water!


My goofy goggle boy. He thought we was pretty cool wearing these.


Micah and I in the kayak. I think I enjoyed it more than he did.


My niece, Kathleen. She celebrated her first birthday out at the lake.


My nephew, Charlie, chilling out on Grandpa's lap. By the way, grandpa was off limits for the squirt guns if Charlie was on his lap. Smart grandpa.


Ethan and Micah with my niece and nephew, Rachel and Evan. They played for hours together!


Grandpa was trying to take a nice kayak ride with Rachel and Ethan. Ethan had other ideas.

3 comments:

DeMaster Family said...

Who did you do the Heimlich on? That sounds scary!

Janna said...

I had to do the Heimlich on Micah. He had a LifeSaver stuck and was gagging. It was kind of scary for a few seconds because I was alone on a walk with him. I'm glad it came out on the second thump. He cried for a while...probably because he didn't understand why his mother thumped on him and then wouldn't let him have his candy off the ground.

Rozema Family said...

OH MY WORD THAT'S SO SCARY!
Great update! It sounds like you had an amazing time at the lake!!!!!!!!