Thursday, December 11, 2008

Gingerbread Houses

Jason was out of town last week, and the days fell on my two days off from work, so I was the sole entertainer in the household for the whole day. No aunts or grandparents to step in while I went off to work! No daddy in the evening as a fresh playmate!

One of the fun parts of my job is the programs that I get to participate in. But, even better than that is when there are leftovers from the programs that I can snag and take home for my boys. This time Jason's days away fell a few days after a Gingerbread program. I grabbed extra supplies and saved them in a container for a fun task that would fill a few hours...OK, I was optimistically hoping for a 1/2 hour. The boys were excited when I showed them all the supplies--really, what kid wouldn't be excited when their mother sets a bag of candy and a pile of frosting in front of them! So, they went to work...


The "Gingerbread" houses were milk cartons (from a school...thoroughly rinsed and sprayed with air freshener) that had graham crackers stuck to them. We used frosting from a container and it was plenty thick for making the candy stick.



I sat back and took pictures (though I helped with the spreading of frosting). The boys happily covered the house with candy, candy canes, mints, Smarties, M&M's, gumdrops, colorful marshmallows, and gingerbread men cookies. They used Cinnamon Toast Crunch cereal for the roof.



I was really surprised that they didn't even eat that much of the candy! They were so happy sticking the candy on the house that I think they forgot how much they like to eat it.


Ethan loves to use the camera, so I gave it to him to take pictures of the finished houses while I cleaned up Micah. He takes a lot of...shall I say "artistic" shots!




This was really fun and I think it would be easy to do on my 0wn without grabbing supplies from work. Really, I would gladly buy numerous bags of candy...just for the houses.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

you do have a very artistic son! why does Micah look so old in these pictures?

julie

Janna said...

Jason and I were also commenting on how old Micah looked in these pictures!

Jennie said...

I think you need to restate your comment. You would gladly TAKE numerous bags of candy FROM UNSUSPECTING STORES SUCH AS WALMART,WALGREENS,AND CVS.....NOT just for the houses. (AND JENNIE WILL HAVE THE SAME CANDY WITH NO EXCUSE) ;-)

Rozema Family said...

OH HOW CUTE. . .Funny. . .i was about to post Loren's masterpiece but hers is a pre-fab :)